Sunday 18 January 2015

Netflix Recommendation Of The Week!


Courtroom dramas have never been my thing. I've never watched an episode of Law & Order in my life and the genre doesn't usually appeal, so whenever I saw an article about how The Good Wife was one of the best television shows of the moment or no matter how many people recommended it over Twitter, I fervently ignored it.

If truth be told, unless I really like the sound of a new series' storyline, its the cast that draws me in. Seeing as I only really knew Christine Baranski from things such as Mamma Mia and The Grinch, I never liked Chris Noth in Sex & The City anyways and don't hate me, I always thought Julianna Marguiles always came across as a little stuck up. So quite frankly, I was put off. I now realise that impression was COMPLETELY unjustified.


After seeing a roundtable interview with her and other actresses in standout TV of the moment, my opinion changed completely. She was more reserved, poised and put together than the others yes, but not at all how I had always imagined her to be. She was funny and alluring, and most importantly engagingly intelligent. So one afternoon, a bit bored and knowing it had a good few seasons available (heck, I had the time!) on Netflix, I started it.

The first episode hooked me. It was the perfect combination of likeable characters, hints of flirtation/romance and drama. But, what surprised me the most was the ease in which I could watch it. I had always thought that something law-based would be too hard to follow for regular watching but with it's strings of continued storyline and it's each episode/different law case format, I found myself managing to watch a few hours at a time.

But the draw of the show really is Marguiles. Don't get me wrong, the entire support cast is great. But her strong, intelligent but often vulnerable Alicia Florrick that is so damn intriguing. The character is a perfectly-balanced juxtaposition between a damaged, lost wife and an inspiring business woman and it makes you so interested to see where her storyline will go as she pursues her career whilst juggling a cheating, ex-convict of a husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment