Thursday 23 October 2014

Netflix Recommendation Of The Week!


It's probably no surprise considering the content of my blog that my favourite genre of television is drama. Don't get me wrong, I do love a good comedy series hugely, but nothing can get under my skin quite like a tense drama. The Following is like no other murder-based drama I have ever watched before and I think that's part of the reason I enjoyed it so much.


Former agent, Hardy put away Carroll for twisted murders he was convicted of a few years back, a venture that saw Hardy seriously injured hence his early retirement from the field. But now, years on, Carroll has escaped from prison and the FBI call Hardy back to the force once more to catch his enemy again!

Unlike many murder mysteries, The Following is not so much a "whodunnit" programme, as you're aware of the serial killer they're after from the very first episode. It's much more of a power play between good guy, ex-FBI agent Ryan Hardy and wonderfully hammed-up bad guy, Joe Carroll which makes for a brilliantly unpredictable show as each one tries to get one up on the other.

Okay, so it's a little overly gory. If you're squeamish or easily shocked then truthfully, it may be a little too much for you. But luckily these harsh scenes are always short-lived and whilst frequented throughout both series, they don't dwell on it anywhere near enough to make it unwatchable.

Every episode had me going 'oh my god!' and whilst some of the scenes seem a little theatrical and slightly unbelievable, it's this classic thriller cheese that makes The Following such a guilty pleasure. We know it's not trying to be as cool or as dark as say, True Detective or as intelligent as programmes like Bones or Dexter, but it will certainly grab and more importantly KEEP your attention minute after minute.

Kevin Bacon walks the line between caring cop and a man hellbent on revenge with teetering perfection and  British-born James Purefoy brings the calmly, crazy Carroll to life brilliantly. I didn't know any of the support cast previously, but they fare well against the leads, making for more of an ensemble feel to the programme.

I finished both seasons within a couple of weeks and now, like every other The Following fan, I am eagerly awaiting the third season to be released. In fact, I would say "eagerly awaiting" is an understatement, I am absolutely desperate for it to start again! There's been no confirmed date as of yet, only that the programme will return at some point next year, but there's no need for you to wait, watch the first two seasons of The Following on Netflix now and just... well, thank me later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment